Liquor Licencing

Best Hooper has a solid reputation in advising and representing clients in relation to liquor licensing law in Melbourne. This area is inextricably linked to town planning law.

Our Services Include

Our experienced lawyers are multi-disciplinary and appear regularly as advocates before the Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation (VCGLR), Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) and in the courts in both disciplines.

  • Advice on applications for the grant, variation, transfer and relocation of liquor licences and BYO permits
  • Appearances in disciplinary proceedings under the Liquor Control Reform Act 1998
  • Appearances before the courts in relation to prosecutions under both the Liquor Control
  • Reform Act 1998 and the Planning and Environment Act 1987.

Getting A licence

There are various liquor licences available in Melbourne and applications must be made through the VCGLR. Before a licence is granted, applicants must have a thorough knowledge of liquor law and obligations as a licensee under the Liquor Control Reform Act 1998. New licensees may be directed to complete a one day training course.

After deciding on the type of licence you require, you will go through several steps in the application process:

  • Complete and lodge your application form – Details will include the type of licence you are applying for, evidence of planning permission, a copy of plans for your premises and a Victoria Police questionnaire designed to check suitability to hold a licence. Applications are reviewed by Victoria Police who then provides VCGLR with a written response within 28 days. The City of Melbourne is also notified of the application.
  • Display a public notice relating to your application if required -Depending on the type of licence you are applying for, you may be required to display a Notice of Application on the premises for a period of 28 days.
  • Respond to any objections – Objections can be lodged on various grounds by a variety of interested parties. Finally, all documentation is reviewed for completeness and the application is either listed for hearing, if necessary or determined.

Our experienced lawyers can assist with all steps of this application process including appearing as advocates at Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation (VCGLR) and the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT).

Liquor Licensing LAWYERS

Dominic Scally


Town planning Law, Property development, Local government law, Liquor licensing, Gaming law.

Tania Cincotta


Town planning law, Property development, Restrictive covenants and easements, Land acquisition and compensation, Liquor licensing.

Romy Davidov


Town Planning Law, Property Development, Local Government, Liquor Licensing, Planning Schemes

Get in Touch

Fill in the details to help us answer your query and booking enquiries promptly.