Town Planning & Environment Law
Tania joined Best Hooper in 2000 after completing a Bachelor of Law (Honours) and Bachelor of Arts at Monash University. Tania has been a partner of the firm since 2006 and practises predominantly in town planning law, property law and land compensation.
In 2016 and 2017, Tania was again recognised as one of Melbourne’s leading Planning & Environment Lawyers by Doyle’s Guide.
- Assisting developers in all types of planning permit applications from small scale projects to large multi-storey developments;
- Regularly appearing as an advocate in the Planning and Environment List at the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal on behalf of developers, municipal councils and objectors at merits hearings, directions hearings and mediations;
- Providing advice on planning issues in relation to due diligence;
- Assisting in all aspects of the planning process from the permit application stage to preparation of VCAT proceedings and appearance at planning hearings;
- Applications for planning permits to vary/remove restrictive covenants;
- Advice on the Planning Scheme Amendments and appearance at Panel Hearings at Planning Panels Victoria;
- Processes involved in amendments to planning permits and amended plans;
- Preparation of Section 173 Agreements, ending and amending of Section 173 Agreements;
- Providing advice in relation to existing use rights;
- Planning prosecutions and applications for Enforcement Orders in relation to both Council and Defendants/Respondents.
- Providing advice in relation to interpretation, enforceability and beneficiaries of restrictive covenants;
- Providing advice in relation to implied easements and the creation and removal of easements
- Applications to vary/remove covenants in the Supreme Court pursuant to the Property Law Act 1958 acting on behalf of both applicants and objectors;
Land Compensation and Valuation
- Advice in relation to compulsory land acquisitions and the process; acting for claimants in relation to compensation claims under the Land Acquisition and Compensation Act 1986, including Supreme Court and VCAT proceedings;
- Advice and proceedings in relation to financial loss claims under the Planning and Environment Act 1987;
- Appeals against valuations in rates notices and land tax notices.
Tania is a member of Victorian Planning and Environment Law Association (VPELA), Urban Development Institute of Australia (UDIA) and the Law Institute of Victoria.
Tania has been recognised in the Best Lawyers in Australia list (2019 Edition). Tania has also been recognised as a recommended Lawyer in Australia by Doyle’s Guide 2018.