Town Planning & Environment Law
Joel completed his degrees in a Bachelor of Laws (with Honours) and Bachelor of Sciences at Deakin University in 2010, and is currently studying a Master of Business Administration (MBA) at Melbourne University. He was admitted to practice in February 2011.
In July 2014, Joel moved to London for a global experience where he worked at Slaughter and May, an international law firm and a member of the Magic Circle. During this time, he worked on a number of significant litigation matters for large scale corporate clients in the aviation, mining, media and banking sectors. As planned, Joel returned to practice at Best Hooper in July 2015.
Joel’s broad experience includes acting for all types of landowners and developers in a variety of matters with a focus on property transactions, building and construction, land development and infrastructure projects. He principally practices in providing strategic advice and representation in complex litigious matters with a commercial focus.
Joel’s principal areas of practice include:
- all stages of dispute resolution, including pre-litigation advice;
- Growth Areas Infrastructure Contribution (GAIC) together with related applications, objections and litigation;
- Property and land development;
- Infrastrastructure projects;
- Compulsory land acquisition and compensation, including disputed claims;
- Establishment, function, rules and disputes related to an Owners Corporation;
- building and fencing matters, including responses to building notices and building orders.
Joel also assists clients in a general practice including applications to the Titles Office, subdivision of land, Wills, applications for a Grant of Representation (Probate or Letters of Administration), and corporate and personal insolvency.
Joel is also a member of the Law Institute of Victoria (LIV). He is entitled to practice in both the Victorian and Federal jurisdictions.